Thursday, January 9, 2014

Carriers of Faith - Be still and know that I am God

Today is my very first post being part of "Carriers of Faith"!  Carriers of Faith is a blog group of Christian women who love to stamp and share their faith.  Each month a hostess will give us a scripture & theme to inspire, encourage, and see how our faith shines through.  Take a look around. What do you see? What brings joy, beauty, happiness, peace, serenity to your heart?


The first month our hostess is our group owner, Kelly.  She gave us the following challenge:

January Challenge :
January Scripture: “Be still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10
January photo inspiration: Spending time in stillness, in prayer.

To be very honest, I've not been able to wrap my head around this one.  Yes, I love the scripture...but there isn't really one special place that I pray because to me prayer is a constant communication with God.  I'll pray on my way to work.  I'll pray in the shower.  I'll pray if I wake up at night and can't sleep.  I'll pray in the kitchen, living room, outside...it just doesn't matter where.

I kept thinking and thinking about the theme....Be still and know that I am God.  And then it hit me - the photo that I can share that inspires me - where I am most often stirred in my soul - is God's house!  My church.  I love my church!  And last night I couldn't have been more proud to be part of such an amazing church.  On New Years Eve our town suffered a tragedy where two teenagers were murdered.  Our church was asked to host the calling hours/funeral.  It was a time for our church to show a hurting community the love of Jesus.  And last night, as I saw many family members, friends, teenagers, etc walk through the doors of our church I was touched.  Our pastor spoke tenderly as he delivered a message about how in times when events like this happen we don't understand why and it's like we sit down at a table across from God and ask Him why this happened.  He had a table and 2 chairs on the platform to demonstrate this....and in the end, he moved the chairs side by side and talked about how God isn't against us or even across from us - but He is right beside us.  It's ok to ask why and how could this happen.  But God is for us and loves us.  It reminded me of a song that our choir sings -

God is fighting for us, God is on our side
He has overcome, yes He has overcome.
We will not be shaken, we will not be moved
Jesus You are here

Carrying our burdens, covering our shame
He has overcome, yes He has overcome
We will not be shaken, we will not be moved
Jesus You are here

I will live, I will not die
The resurrection power of Christ
Alive in me and I am free in Jesus' Name
I will live, I will not die
I will declare and lift You high
Christ revealed and I am healed in Jesus' Name

God is fighting for us
Pushing back the darkness
Lighting up the Kingdom
That cannot be shaken
In the name of Jesus
Enemy's defeated 
And we will shout it out - shout it out

He is fighting for us - fighting for me.  I'm alive and free in Jesus' Name!!!  The enemy's are defeated!  So what inspires me today...it's my church.  The Apostolic Church of Barberton.

Please take some time to hop along through our blog hop for the Carriers of Faith.....

Kelly
Barb
Zella - you're here now :)
Jeanette
Carol
Tami
Shelly
April

Thanks for stopping by today and spending a few moments with me...and don't forget - God is fighting for YOU!!

8 comments:

:: BlueInks :: said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss in your community. How very sad. I am glad that your church was able to lend some comfort. It is such a pretty church too!

I look forward to our group - thanks for sharing!

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Oh my goodness, Zella, your post moved me to tears. First, I am so sorry to hear of the tragedy in your community. Heartfelt prayers are lifted for all of you. And your church - it surely sounds like a loving group of people. I loved hearing the "message" your pastor shared and illustrated with the table and chairs.

Barb said...

Zella--I read about the tragedy in your town earlier on SCS--but this post still brings me sadness. I hope that posting the details again continues to help you...........

Thanks for being a part of this new/revised blog group!

Carol W said...

Oh Zella what a beautiful post. It gave me goosebumps and really touched me. I would love to be able to go to your church. Your pastor sounds like he can really touch those who listen deep within your soul...thanks so much for sharing..♥

Jenée said...

I like this verse, Zella. It reminds me that I need to stop and listen. Like you, I do a lot of talking to God -- I pray -- but I'm not always so good at the sitting still and listening part.

Your blog is beautifully written, and I look forward to receiving more of your heartfelt words and inspiration.

MiamiKel said...

Amen! Your post is poignant and so from the heart. What a horrible tragedy to touch the lives of someone so young but a blessing that your church was able to reach those at a time of greatest need. Blessings to you!

SarahGeorge said...

Dear Zella,
So sorry about the loss in your community.But was heart warming to hear about what your church did at this time. And your church looks very beautiful!

Shelly Schmidt said...

No better place than in HIS house! So sorry to hear about such a tragedy! That is awful! The church is not the building, it is the people- so nice to hear your church welcomed fellow towns people to grieve and be close to HIM!